I can’t believe we are two weeks into our home renovation already. It’s gone by so fast and it’s almost done, which is honestly a bit shocking to me. I don’t think I’ve even had time to mention on here that we STARTED the renovation indoors. That’s how fast all of this has moved.
But here we are. Starting what’s supposed to be our third and final week of our indoor renovation projects.
You can find our whole indoor wish list here, but below is everything we decided to do and some of the progress as of late last week.
Why we started renovations
As a reminder, this whole thing started because we wanted to make a master bedroom closet and convert one of the upstairs bathrooms to a private master bath. Additionally, I wanted to remove the black tile in the two mudrooms and put in something with a bit more character. We also didn’t need two mud rooms so we planned to convert one room to my office.
From there we’ve had a little bit of scope creep, but not too much. Here’s how everything is going.
Our upstairs home renovation progress
To create the master bedroom closet we had to divide part of the room we had been using as the master. The room was kind of weird. It was almost an entry way to the room that was the master we weren’t really sure how to use it.
Instead, we decided to move the master bedroom to the “Current Guest bedroom” in the graphic and break through the wall to make a spacious master closet. Using half the room allowed us to keep a hallway to the “Master Bedroom Area for the bed” in the photo, which is going to be the new guest room. I like that this layout allows for the guest room to be tucked back a bit, away from all the other rooms so guest can have some privacy.
New Guest Room Hallway
Master Bedroom Progress
Flip flopping the two rooms allowed us to turn that bathroom on the right of the graphic into a dedicated master bathroom. This is something that I really wanted since we expect to have family visiting a lot. I just wanted a space that would be our’s for showering and bathing.
However, that bathroom also only had one sink. Changing up the door layout to make it a dedicated master bath also allowed us to create space for a second sink and square off the room.
Doing all this allowed us to take that extra closet in what would be the new master bedroom and convert it to a linen closet – something we didn’t have. We turned the door out into the hallway and created a huge linen closet while adding some wall space back to the new master.
Our main level home renovation progress
On the main level, the two mud rooms just didn’t make sense for us. The previous owners had six children so they called the smaller of the two rooms the “back entrance” and the larger of the two rooms the “mud room.” However, both rooms are really large for mud rooms. They are both around 11 x 12 feet and for me having two rooms that size that essentially served the same purpose was a waste of space.
The room that was just slightly larger we decided to make an office and then the room that attaches to the kitchen and the main area would become our family’s mud room with built-in lockers.
The office renovation
There were two things that were added on here passed just getting new tile.
1. I wanted to add French Doors between my office and the main part of the house. Even with all the windows in the house – and there’s 20-something on the main level – the homework/art area that I am making for the kids was still rather dark. Adding in French doors allowed us to get more light in that center area of the house and it allows my office space to be less confining.
We decided to center the doors to the main room versus centering them on the wall in my office. Since I would really be the only one looking at the doors from that angle, it made more sense to have it visually pleasing to the eye from the main area of the house.
2. There was a door between the office space and the bathroom and we removed that. It was odd having two doors to the bathroom, especially since our doors all need a key to lock them. And not just any key. Every SINGLE door in this whole house has its own key.
This also just freed up more wall space in the office.
Office renovation progress
I decided to go with same brick tile for both the mudroom and office because I wanted to have some continuity. They main room has wood flooring, which is a pre-finished wood that I’m not overly fond of. Because of that. I didn’t want o finish my office space with it but I also didn’t want to have three different types of flooring within five feet of one another. I also really love the tile.
As far as the pattern goes, I decided to keep it simple and go with a regular stacked brick pattern versus a chevron pattern that’s becoming popular. While both spaces are spacious, they aren’t huge and they are rather closed off so I didn’t want my eyes going crazy once the furniture and everything else was placed back in both rooms.
Still to come…
They’re putting the finishing touches on everything this week and this includes:
- Touch ups on the drywall
- The office french doors, which were delivered and installed today! (More updates already!)
- The lockers for coats and shoes in the mud room
- The closet layout
- Finishing trim
- And some other misc. things.
I can’t wait to update you on all the finished progress to come! I also have an announcement about the outdoor project wish list coming too!