I have had this love affair with chives this summer. There’s something about the pretty chive flowers (that usually bloom May- June) that just get me every time. It’s also one of those perfect herbs that goes well with literally everything. That led me to finding creating a few recipes this year with chives and chive blossoms and this Sour Cream & Chive Chicken is the first one I’ve shared.
Using Chives and their blossoms
I want to first start by saying you don’t need the chive blossoms for this recipe. However, if you have them, go ahead and add them onto the top as a pretty garnish. They actually have the same exact flavor as chives themselves and can be eating on this Sour Cream & Chive Chicken, salads, as a vinegar, on eggs and in so many more recipes! However, if you do decide to use the blossoms, just make sure to use the new blossoms. You can see the color difference between the bloom on the chicken and the older blossoms I have in the jar.
However, because you don’t need chive blossoms for this, you can actually eat this all year round. I’d be sad if I could only make this Sour Cream & Chive Chicken in spring.
Making delicious, low carb chicken
Simple chicken dishes are my jam…maybe second only to some beautiful pasta. But often times, chicken is a weekly staple in our house and to keep it interesting I love to jazz it up in fun, delicious ways with different sauces. This Sour Cream & Chive Chicken is so good that even my kids will eat it, (And they might be the pickiest children alive.) and it’s also low-carb. It is a great option for people who are trying to make and eat low carb meals, or even those eating a Keto Diet. This recipe fits right in!
The sauce for the Creamy Sour Cream & Chive Chicken is made from a simple mixture of sour cream, chicken broth, chives and a few spices. It’s an easy, creamy sauce that would honestly also work well with pork chops, fish or even vegetables.
Lastly, I love fast and delicious recipes. This is one of those recipes you can cook in less than 20 minutes! It’s perfect for weeknights or even nights when you don’t really feel like cooking. It goes by so fast that it doesn’t take a lot of effort.
Cooking the chicken
You can honestly cook the chicken any way you like in this recipe. We grilled it on our Traeger grill, which tends to cook it perfectly but doesn’t often leave the telltale grill marks that most people have come to know.
Because most of the seasoning in this recipe comes from the Sour Cream & Chive Sauce, you want to lightly season the chicken. I used just a light olive oil, salt and pepper. Generally, that my go-to combination when making a sauce for chicken because most of my flavor is in there.
You can also bake Sour Cream & Chive Chicken too. You can brown it on the outside in a cast iron pan first and then bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Making the Sour Cream & Chive Chicken Sauce
To make the sauce for the Sour Cream & Chive Chicken you will need to warm the chicken broth slightly. You don’t want it to boil or even really simmer because there’s a chance it could curdle the sour cream if it’s too hot. If the chicken broth is too warm, let it cool some before mixing it in with the sour cream.
When you mix them together, use a whisk and whisk it in little by little. As you pour it in whisk vigorously and continuously. It’s a bit like making my Chocolate Mousse where you want the egg to warm but you don’t want to actually cook the eggs.
What to make with Sour Cream & Chive Chicken
Once you get everything together you will have a delicious sauce that goes well with your chicken and so many other protiens too! Serve it over rice, some egg noodles or with some simple broccoli to keep the dish low-carb!
If you’re looking for some other delicious low-carb meals you should try these:
Chopped Thai Chicken Salad with creamy peanut dressing
Grilled Sweet Potato Steaks with Chimichurri and Tajin Crema
Thank you so much for visiting today, friends! You can find the full recipe for the Sour Cream & Chive Chicken below. I hope that you will come visit us again here at Sugar Maple Farmhouse.
Creamy Sour Cream & Chive Chicken
- 1 package of medium sized chicken breasts If your chicken breasts are too thick, use a meat tenderizer to flatten them a bit.
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chives
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Additional chives or chive flowers for finishing.
- If you're going to grill the chicken, turn the grill to medium heat and let it warm.
- In a bowl, mix together sour cream, lemon juice and seasonings.
- In a pan on the stove, heat chicken broth to warm. This is especially important if you're using chicken broth that has been in the refrigerator. Be careful not to let it boil or even simmer. Cook on low heat for about 3-4 min.
- Add the chicken to the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side with the grill closed. Make sure the internal temperature is at 165 degree before removing it. Times will truly vary based on the thickness of the chicken breast.
- Slowly begin whisking the chicken broth into the sour cream mix. pour in a little at a time and continuously and vigorously mix it until everything is well combined.
- Plate the chicken immediately when done and add the chive souce to the top. Add on additional chives, salt and pepper and chive flowers as desired.